Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Digital Identity

I possess an oyster card, meaning that the police have the means to track my voyages by public transport, the average person is recorded by CCTV 300 times a day, so, being an average person, I am recorded by CCTV quite often, again this is a means for the police to track me, I also possess a mobile phone, which can be tracked, and if need be, this information could be disclosed by 'Talk mobile' to the police, giving them another means of tracking me and, although my passport does not have an electronic flea, it is scanned every time I pass customs, providing the police with more information about me. That is the extent of my offline digital identity. If needs be, the police could easily track me down, possessing my address, my phone number etc... However, only the police and the government can possess and use this information, in a way this is reassuring, because it means that it is not easy, even scarcely possible, for any random individual to track me down. However, can we trust the police and government to keep this information?Is our modern society starting to mirror Orwell's dystopic society of 1984? Well in a way, yes, we are 'monitored' by CCTV cameras, oyster 'swipes' and other things. But in another way our society has not reached the extremes of Big Brother's society, we are allowed freedom of speech, freedom of thought and the police and government is not abusive of their knowledge of us, their power.

No comments:

Post a Comment